Three years of cycling policy in German TownsUmweltbundesambt
Report about a large project: A systematic and broad policy for cyclists and pedestrians in three German towns. More communication is central
Datei herunterladen. Link öffnen (in neuem Fenster):
From June 2001 until October 2003 the model project "Walking and cycling friendly city" was accomplished.
Model cities were the three cities Lingen (Ems), Plauen (Vogtland) and the Luthertown Wittenberg. The aim of the
project was the creation of a positive climate towards walking and cycling through a long term promotion of these
traffic forms, by forming equal rights in planing decisions and to strength its position in the planning
For each model city it was built up a main concept with the administrationen (specific workinggroup) and local
participants (advisors), or an existing concept was been updated. Caused by the short running time of the project
and due to the fact, that no capital intensive programms has been promoted the highlights were
- simple actions with little constructional or other effort,
- mainly ideas of public relations and communication,
- establishing a quality management with long lasting effects.
The occured effects, realisation restaints and the benefits in the domains infrastructure, involvement and public
relations have been appraised. This showes that:
- the proportion of walking and cycling at all ways can be increased with help of innovative, cost efficient and
- that the problems of the implementation of concepts for walking and cycling primarily lay in the financial
safeguarding of projects and single measures and in the missing knowledge about moving for financial funding and
the own capital.
The conclusions show recommendations for the strategic promotion of walking and cycling programms for the local
* Muss ausgefüllt werden